Argumentative Essay Topic Ideas For High School
An argumentative essay is an essay where the writer has to investigate a topic of their choosing and gather evidence on the topic, then deciding which side of the argument you agree with. This is pretty straightforward but choosing a topic can be difficult if you don’t know what to look for in an argumentative essay topic. First you should pick a topic that you know a little about and one that you have a strong point of view on. Choosing a topic like this will read well because it is a topic that you are more passionate about.
Topics For High School Students
- Teachers grade students but should the students be able to grade them too?
- Should drug testing be mandatory in high schools and middle schools?
- Does standardized test really measure students ability to learn?
- Do the filters put on school’s Internet too restrictive?
- Has technology made the world lonelier?
- Should more be done about cyber bullying?
- Do you think shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant help prevent or promote teenage pregnancy?
- Should video games be considered a work of art?
- Should we study pop culture?
- Do young girls have too much pressure put upon them to have a perfect body?
- Do parents raise their sons and daughters differently?
- What are your beliefs on equal rights for men and women?
- Is there a thin line between pranks and bullying?
- Are Native American mascots offensive?
- Is it a big deal when professional athletes come out as gay?
- Do you think that youth sports are too competitive?
- Which do you think is more important to you, national security or keeping our privacy?
- Should the government be trusted?
- When rich people break the law, do they get more lenience than the average lawbreaker?
- Are we giving our kids too many trophies today?
- At what age or point in a person’s life do they become an adult?
- How effective are ads about no smoking?
- Are charities hurting or help the cause they are fighting for or does the money raised by charities get spent more on events and fundraiser then actually helping the cause?
This list is a good a start for your argumentative essay. They are all issue that you can use as a starting point, or you can just use one of the topics provide. Make sure once you pick a topic that it is an interesting one that will give your reader a new insight on the subject.